Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Have So Much to Do...

I just finished giving a day of training to one of the clients that we have and one topic kept coming up – teacher schedules. I know how busy the average or, in this case, the above average teacher is. Put on top of that the fact that you as your district Project Director have to manage the grant implementation and evaluation. What is the average superhero Project Director to do? Sacrifice weekends and holidays to enter data? Stay up night to be able to meet the deadlines that you have committed to?

I think I may have the answer. What you need to do is sit down and decide where you are in the process and what you need to do to complete your implementation and subsequently, your evaluation. Then bite off what you can. Remember that the one requirement you have with the DoEd is to submit your MVPA data. The rest of the implementation can wait.

I know this goes contrary to what you have been told. However, you can only do so much. You need to make sure you prioritize your task list and complete selected items on time. More than likely your grant is a three year implementation, so put portions of the implementation off until the second or third year. Determine that you would classify as “non-essential” and make those activities wait.

If you need help, you can also contact other Project Directors in your area. If you don’t have the time or the budget to pay them, contact me and I will either give you a hand myself or put you in contact with someone else who can. You should make sure you lean on the expertise of other people who can help you lighten your load.